Saturday, April 7, 2012

Put Twitter to Good Use!

Have you ever had to call customer support for your ISP and reached some poor under paid guy or gal in either India or South America?

I know you have, with very few exceptions most ISP's have their tech support outsourced. Being a technical person I always try nearly everything they have on their list beforeI call in. However, these techs often don't have enough comprehension the process to be able to skip a step or ten.  It's not their fault they are hired to answer the phone and get basic steps taken care of.  We all know this can be VERY frustrating!

What does this have to do with Twitter? Well, I have discovered, that most companies, ISP's included have a twitter account which is actively monitored by one or more techs...in the U.S.A.!!!  I have twitter as a contact on my phone, so I can send tweets directly from my phone. The number is 40404, at least on Sprint. If you send a tweet to @company and a brief description of your problem, chances are in a few minutes you will get an invite to a private chat or a request to call you directly.

I had problems with my Charter internet connection. I called in, and was basically told to reboot my modem and everything would be OK. As I mentioned before, I already did that.  So even though I was rebooting my modem I suspected it wouldn't solve my problem. I sent a tweet into the twitter-verse directed at@charter. I gave a brief description. in 5 minutes or less I had a response asking for my phone number. They then told me they had checked the modem and saw that there is indeed a problem, and could a technician come out the next day?

I have used twitter with other companies as well and in almost every case I have received excellent efficient help much more quickly than if I had gone through the customer service line.

Now I will tell you that I know some companies make it a policy to keep their customer service in the states. Companies such as Windstream, for example. Their customer support is in Florida, South Carolina, and Nebraska if you have Windstream services then call the technical people for the most part they are all very good.

But if you can't reach an English speaking technician or customer support representative, then try a @Tweet!


No comments:

Post a Comment