Saturday, March 28, 2009

Web Providers vs ISPs

OK, the title of this entry may seem clear... but you would be surprised.

When you are looking for a web provider, remember that just because your ISP offers web hosting space, doesn't' mean they are a web hosting company.

For example, the Company I work for, we provide tens of thousands of businesses and individuals with Internet access, however whole we DO offer web hosting as a freebie add-on, we are NOT a web host provider.  Our servers have the basic stuff for hosting current, or mostly current, web sites, however we don't support them other than to try to make sure whats supposed to work, does.

On the their hand, web provider companies spend all their resources on just that.
For example, the one I use, PowWeb is an excellent provider, I have hosted a dozen sites with them over the last 9 years and have had only a very minor number of outages. I can think of 3 off the top of my head.  PowWeb is getting more and more customers all the time, and sometimes the MySQL server slows a bit, but they work 24/7 to keep things up and ruining.

I don't really have much experience with these other web host providers but I'll list the ones I have found, and note any comments on the ones that I know about:
Well, there are 5 anyhow. So why not just pick the cheapest one?  You have to look and make sure they offer you all of the perks and benefits you need.

Useful things to watch for:
  • A control panel of some sort
  • Automatic installer for supported web apps.
  • Email boxes and how many are available.
  • Redundancy to the backbone. (they have more than one way to talk to the Internet.)

That's just a few, for starters.  
If you have more suggestions or questions please email them to me at xanthakita@gmail.com

Thanks,
Xanthakita

No comments:

Post a Comment